Friday, March 16, 2012

Types of Eyeliners and How to Use them!

If you are just beginning to wear makeup you may be overwhelmed of the brands and types there are. But dont worry ill get you through all your problems( I dont want to overwhelm you will all of this but this helped me and maybe you alot)
chanel-liquid-eyeliner.jpg
Liquid Eyeliner

This is the most difficult to apply as it is very bold and slick. Liquid eyeliner generally comes in a tube with a brush that pulls out with the liquid on it. This is the most difficult liner to apply, so I recommend trying other types before using liquid liner.
You need a steady hand, and should apply by brushing short strokes close to the lash line. Start at the middle of the eye, directly above the upper lashes, and SLOWLY brush across the lash line. Then, start at the inner part of the eye and continue to brush until you reach the middle of your eye that you began with.
Pros:
  • Great for Arabic makeup, cat eyes, and dramatic looks.
  • Provides a well-defined, thin line which makes the eyelashes look thicker.
Cons:
  • Very difficult to apply well.
  • Takes a steady hand, patience, and practice practice practice!
My Picks:
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner
Urban Decay Liquid Liner 
urban-decay-eyeliner.jpg
Pencil Eyeliner 
This is the most commonly used liner as it is very easy to manage and control. Pencil eyeliners are just like any other pencil that you sharpen when needed. To apply, you simply “draw” on the line close to your lashline.
If you would like to have a color on your waterline, these are generally the best type to use. You DO need to look for ones that are ophthalmologist tested in order to prevent irritation in the eye.
Pros:
  • Very easy to control.
  • Comes in a wide range of colors.
  • Very common and easy to find in every brand of makeup.
Cons:
  • Unless you sharpen really well, it does not provide as crisp a line.
My Picks:
Urban Decay 24/7
Prestige Soft Khol Pencil
loreal-cream-eyeliner.jpg
Gel/Cream Eyeliner
This liner has been used more by professional makeup artists than the mainstream public, but it is becoming more common. Cream eyeliners generally come in a pot that you can dip an angled brush, fine tip brush, or even a pencil eyeliner in to get the product out. It can even be used as a creamy base underneath eyeshadows.
If you use a brush to apply, you will need a slightly steady hand as it is creamy and glides pretty easily. Since this liner takes a bit longer to dry, it is great for smudging along the lashline.
Pros:
  • Very creamy and easy to smudge.
  • Great for smokey eyes.
Cons:
  • Not as portable as a pencil eyeliner.
My Picks:
Loreal Hip Creme Eyeliner
MAC Fluidline Liner 

mac-eyeshadow.jpg
EyeShadow as Eyeliner 
This is the fastest and easiest way to line your lashes. All you need is a stiff, angled brush or a pencil brush (like MAC’s 219). To apply, simply dip your brush into the eyeshadow of your choice and “draw” or smudge along the upper and/or lower lashline. You CANNOT use this on your waterline- it will not stick, and it will really irritate your eyes.
Eyeshadow lining is great for a more subtle daytime look. Plus, the color possibilities are endless! You could even use the pencil brush to smudge the eyeshadow on top of another eyeliner to get rid of any harsh lines.
Pros:
  • Multiple colors to choose from.
  • Easy to apply.
Cons:
  • Cannot be used on the waterline.
  • Does not last as long as other eyeliners do.

http://www.makeupgeek.com/articles-reviews/the-types-of-eyeliners-and-how-to-use-them/


6 comments:

  1. i use a ton of eyeliner. not like a crazy amount... but i am asian and have asian eyes, so i kind of give myself the effect of a double eyelid with eyeliner and eye shadow. i've gone through almost every type and my favorite is l'oreal's infallible eyeliner. it's not really a pencil but it's not gel either. the most important thing for me is that it doesn't smudge. and it def doesn't.
    happy friday!
    xx jes

    www.twosmuppies.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this post! It is so informative!
    I love eyeliner so much. My favourite is the BYS auto eye lining pencil. Super cheap, but out of the dozens of brands and types I have purchased, it's easily my favourite!

    I'd love you to check out my blog!
    http://sarah-sparklebabyshine.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gel eye liner. Once you get used to it it is so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For many years I only used liquid eyeliner to line my lashline and then pencil liner to line my upper and lower waterline :)
    Now I have started using gel liner and I can´t live without it. It is truly the best ever :) I use Maybelline EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Liner and its the best I have ever tried :)
    I still use pencil liner for my waterlines though :)
    Awesome post :)
    Im a new follower btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!! I love pencil eye liners and liquid in the form of a marker...The only thing I hate with pencil eyeliners is that they have to be very well sharpened to work with the line!

    ReplyDelete

Share some love and comment. I check my comments everyday and they make my day :)- xoxo